Sovereign Election pt 1
- Dr. Grudem’s definition of election is:
o “Election is an act of God before creation in which He chooses some people to be saved, not on account of any foreseen merit in them, but only because of His sovereign good pleasure.”
· Grudem’s definition specifically talks about certain people being chosen unto salvation.
o We will see the New Testament speaks clearly about this (in part 2), but do we see the general concept of God choosing people based only on His good pleasure?
· Do we see God selecting people for various purposes not because of anything they have done but only because He desired to choose them for a particular purpose?
· The answer is a definitive YES!
- We see this throughout the scriptures – See the multitude of examples:
· Genesis - For I have chosen him, that he may command his children and his household after him to keep the way of the LORD by doing righteousness and justice.
· Nehemiah 9:7 – You are the LORD, the God who chose Abram and brought him out of
of the Chaldeans and gave him the name Abraham. Ur
· See also Isaiah 51:2
· Deuteronomy 7:6-8 - For you are a people holy to the LORD your God. The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession, out of all the peoples who are on the face of the earth. It was not because you were more in number than any other people that the LORD set his love on you and chose you, for you were the fewest of all peoples, but it is because the LORD loves you and is keeping the oath that he swore to your fathers, that the LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery, from the hand of Pharaoh king of Egypt.
· See also Amos 3:2, Psalm 147:20
· Psalm 78:70-71 - He chose David his servant and took him from the sheepfolds; from following the nursing ewes he brought him to shepherd Jacob his people,
his inheritance. Israel
· See also 1 Samuel 16:1, 2 Samuel 7:8, 1 Kings 8:16
· Jeremiah 1:5 - Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations.
o John the Baptist was chosen
o Jesus chose the 12 apostles – John & 19, , 6:70
o Paul was chosen – Galatians 1:15
o The Lord assures Elijah in 1 Kings - I will leave seven thousand in
, all the knees that have not bowed to Baal, and every mouth that has not kissed him. Israel
· Psalm 65:4 - Blessed is the one you choose and bring near, to dwell in your courts! We shall be satisfied with the goodness of your house, the holiness of your temple
- Election for judgment & restoration
o Pharaoh – Exodus 9:14-16; 12:12; 14:17-18, God raised up Pharaoh to judge Egypt’s gods and show forth His power and glory in delivering Israel.
Assyria against in judgment – Isaiah 10:5-6 Israel
against Babylon in judgment – Jeremiah 27:2-7 Judah
o Cyrus of
to restore the Jews post judgment – Isaiah 45:1-4 Persia
· You could also argue that ALL the great prophets and judges were chosen to perform their tasks.
o These examples are enough to show that election is not a new concept found in the New Testament but is found throughout the scriptures.