How Free is the Will pt 3
- There are two common accusations against this teaching.
o Man cannot be responsible if he is not able.
§ Fallen men do have the mental and physical ability, but deliberately reject God and His gospel.
· They love sin more than God.
§ They freely and willingly oppose the God of the scriptures and this is precisely why man is responsible.
- What about “Whosoever will”?
o Does this imply ability?
§ This is not about man’s ability, but about God’s promise to those who do come.
o God commands us to do things everyday that we do not have the ability to accomplish.
- For the unbeliever, the command to love God with all their being is just as much applicable to them as us…
o Not to mention the rest of the commandments and…
- Yet no unbelieving person can love God OR come close to obeying Him without the Spirit of God!
o Even as Christians, we cannot fulfill a single command without God.
- Jesus says you can do nothing apart from Him in John 15:5 - that is, you cannot bear fruit apart from Christ and...
§ We do not rely on our natural ability, but upon Christ for everything we do!
o The general command is a promise for those who do come to God through Christ.
§ Are these people unknown to God? NO!
· God is omniscient and He knows who will come to Him AND He draws those who come to Him (John )
- What is the purpose of these commands and truisms?
o One is to describe what it means to come to Christ.
§ We must repent and believe in Him.
· This describes the attitude of the heart of a true believer.
o There are two distortions of this teaching.
§ First, there are men who genuinely want to come, but can’t come to Christ because they are not the elect.
§ Second, men are forced against their will to come to Christ even though they do not want to come.
· They are the elect so too bad!
o This is a BAD caricature of the teaching and is only meant to poison the well.
§ Those who do want to come to Christ represent those who are the elect.
§ Those who do NOT want to come to Christ may represent those who are not elect.
o I use the word may because until someone dies there is hope for their salvation.
§ If you do not know whether you are the elect, do not delay, but repent and trust in Christ ALONE for your salvation.
· Not in works of religion, works of good deeds, being a faithful church member BUT in Jesus Christ and nothing else.